Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Down Comforter

The Husband and I used to sleep under a king-size, 100% cotton, goose down comforter. It needed to be cleaned and I dreaded the process that would entail.

First off, a king size comforter and my puny washing machine aren't a good match. In fact, it says on the comforter's tag, "Do not wash in your puny washing machine." Ok, in all honesty it says "dry clean only." Dry cleaning doesn't really treat the problem about why this comforter needs to be cleaned in the first place. It needs a good, deep cleaning because Annie pooped on it during her bout of roto virus. But still, my washer is small, this comforter is large and even if the washer manages to agitate the tiniest bit amid the giant blanket and not shred it to peices, the blanket is filled with down feathers that take a month to dry. I'm lucky if it drys before mold sets in.

While I don't want to clean it, I don't want it sitting in my laundry area even more. I just stuffed it into the washer. Right now the washer is thudding because it's becoming unbalanced. Dear Lord, let the spin cycle start soon! Then I can drape it across a couple wood chairs from the dining room and seti t up under an air vent. Hopefully the circulation will let it dry quickly. Then I can move on to washing important things, like the Husband's underwear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yea! We have a down comforter in storage (don't need down in Cuba!) that I dreaded washing. I think we used it for one winter.

Good luck...hope it comes out ok!