Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The (Ultrasound) Results Are In...

We'll be having another girl!

So I guess that answers the question on weather my husband and I are the sort who want to find out the gender or not. We are the sort who want to find out.

For my own part, I think it's a suprise whenever you find out, so I'd be content to find out at the ultrasound or wait until the baby is delivered. A few things tip the balance in favor of finding out during the ultrasound. Those things were my husband...
and my husband again.

A prospective dad can have a very hard time relating to the prenancy and the baby. I read this insight way before I was even dating the husband, but for some reason, that idea stuck with me. The ultrasound lets dad see the baby, but knowing the gender means they know at least something about the child they are expecting.




My husband definitely needed some positive associations with the first pregancy. I spent the first trimester very sick and tired. My blessed husband was sent down to the kitchen every night for multiple glasses of milk & juice, or for snacks to ward off morning-sickness. He woke up most mornings not to the sound of his alarm clock, but of me stumbling out of bed and into the bathroom. I felt like a person with a chronic illness rather than a person expecting a baby. Husband was basically bolstering me along until I got past the illness.

The ultrasound was a turning point for us. It occured around the time I started feeling better. Finally we had a glimpse of our daughter. Since I hadn't felt her move yet, it was also further proof that a little baby was in there, waiting for us.

The second reason we were in favor of finding out the sex the baby is that we have a very difficult time choosing a name for the baby. We discovered this early on in the first pregnancy. We decided to declare the topic of baby names off limits until we could eliminate a full 50% of the names that existed. For the second baby, we didn't even bring up the topic of baby names--much less any specific names--until today.

So yeah, we're having a second girl!

I will try to figure out a way to scan in the ultrasound picture & upload it, but don't hold your breath.

No comments: