Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Man, what's it with doctors?

I majored in English in college. This has nothing to do with this post except I've noticed a theme in my life lately, especially when I look at the topic of my blogger posts. By theme I mean "a distinct, recurring, and unifying quality or idea" (definition courtesy of Encarta). Doctors, doctors' offices, doctor's visits and other doctor-related things seem to be recurring over and over in various ways lately.

While I've been kinda vague about the doctor's visits I've mentioned previously (except to note the baby's wonderful behavior) it all started about four months ago when I thought I was pregnant again. First, there was the intial OB visit, with a follow-up ultrasound scheduled for the next week, then there is an appointment with the OB every four weeks or so. Then the dentist for a cleaning and check-up. Then the baby hit the stage where illness is common, and we saw the general practioner for a) the baby's earache b) the baby's cold c) my cold I caught from the baby that turned into a sinus infection d) a girly problem common to pregancy (which the GP didn't catch but the OB did catch a week later). Oh, and we almost went to the doctor when the baby came down with a high fever for roughly 24 hours.

Once everyone in my household finished with the doctor's appointments and courses of antibiotics, I found out my mom's doctor thought surgery was necessary to improve blood flow to her legs to combat her cardio-vascular disease. Instead of a round of doctor's visits, she spent a few days in the hospital to recover from the surgeries and is now home recuperating. Her recovery is going quite well.

While things are slowly returning to normal, I'm left wondering if this theme is going to fade or continue as strong as ever? I guess the baby still has well-baby checkups and I'll still have OB visits...but can we visit with the doctor without somone being sick or undergoing surgery? Can we stop by and just sit and have a nice chat? Would insurance cover a nice chat?

No comments: