Friday, July 21, 2006

Air conditioners redux

We've collected a few quotes on replacing an air conditioning unit. I've learned a lot about air conditioners in the last few days. Did you know:

1. The requirements for the energy efficiency of air conditioners changed this year. Most homes have an 8 or 10 seer rating for their outdoor units. Top of the line stuff when the units originally went in, but now, the minimum rating to install is 13 seer.

2. A 13 seer unit can't be retrofitted to indoor air-handlers that could accomodate 10 seer units.

3. This time of year, the cost to install a new outdoor unit and air-handler is in the neighborhood of 5 or 6 Gs.

4. The companies like to quote a flat rate to cover the parts, labor, and installation--but should be able to give you a more specific cost-breakdown. If a guy can't or won't break it down, it's a sign he is seriously padding the price. I won't say that a specific company (Parrish Services) padded the price of the lowest quality unit on the market above the highest quality units on the market. I won't tell you the low end unit was $400 more than the high end unit.

5. I know a lot more if you want to ask me about it--variable temp air handling, the differences in new and old refrigerant, goodness, I can even recommend some good people to work with.

6. I hate air conditioners.

No comments: