Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Cleaning the Flylady Way



"The house did not get dirty overnight and it will not get clean overnight" as quoted from Flylady.net. If you're familiar with her cleaning approach, she has a system of housekeeping that relies on routine. She emphasizes making small, consistent changes that will last and enable one to keep a tidier house. She also mentions that it's easiest to start if you work in brief bursts.

The brief bursts work well for a lady who's 8 months pregnant with a messy one year old. I've been working on small patches around the house--my bathroom is looking good except for the tub, the kitchen sink is shined, I'm running laundry--but that I haven't accomplished any real cleaning project, like a single room or floor of the house. With all the small patches I feel like I'm making progress, but I'm also looking for that moment where things really come together and I can look around and say the house is looking pretty good. I guess I need to repeat the mantra until I get to that moment. "Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. The fly lady has some useful advice. But I don't think I wuld waste a whole "day" in making sticky notes. I do like her idea of building on things. I also like her five minute room pick up on a really messy space.