Friday, February 23, 2007

Lent

Ash Wednesday was this week. The family went to mass. Husband and I got the ashes on our forehead. Annie was fascinated and kept pointing to Husband's head and telling him, 'yucky' over and over again. She thought it was great fun.

Since Lent is a time of penance in the liturgical calendar, it's common practice to sacrifice, pray, and do charity in preparation for Easter. This year for Lent I will
-give up soda
-pray a divine chaplet each day
-make a meal or baked good to give to one family each week

So far I've flubbed on the soda and I haven't prayed yet. I have baked some bread, I just need to deliver it soon. The flub on the soda was actually pretty funny. Went to the mom's group and picked up McDonald's afterward. Ordered a soda without even thinking about it. After lunch, I went to Giant to pick up a few things. I bought soda for Husband, thinking "It's not really Lent and I'm not really giving anything up if it isn't in the house and isn't a temptation" all the while completely forgetting that I'd been sipping on a coke the whole way to the store. It was only when I was unloading the groceries and the McDonald's wrappers that it occurred to me that I messed it up. I gave up computer use for that day to make up for it though. Feel free to ask me how I'm doing throughout Lent, keep me accountable to my Lenten promises people!

No comments: