Saturday, November 04, 2006

Cow the Horse

A friend of mine from college bought her very own horse. She recently emailed with news about the horse, how she was thrown, and how she got right back in the saddle. Owning a horse is pretty cool. Horse-ownership is almost every little girl's dream---but not my dream. I never wanted a horse, and here's why...

I fell off a horse as a kid, and I did NOT want to get back on. And it wasn't even a horse-riding lesson where you're learning how to do something cool, like jumping, itw as just a simple trail ride where a sedate, fat old horse walks along a trail!

I was riding second, behind my brother in the saddle. The horse, named "Cow," was known in the stable for sucking air into her belly when being saddled. If a horse does this, the saddle doesn't fit as tightly and it risks sliding out of place. Whatever stable hand saddled her, didn't wait for her to release the air, so the saddle was mounted loose.

As we were riding the pokey old trail, the saddle started to slide waaaay to the left. I was behind the saddle, so I had nothing to hold on to when it started to fall off. Hit the ground with a hard thud. The entire left side hurt, and I had the wind knocked out of me. Otherwise uninjured though. My siblings (who were along for the grand adventure) thought it was hilarious and wouldn't stop laughing. To add insult to injury, my mom also laughed when we got home and the boys told her about "The Great Fall from Cow."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellen!

Your forgot the most harrowing part. There was a great big cow pattie about six inches from you. That was a close save!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so to be honest, I am still laughing at that. IT was really funny. hahahahaha.