Saturday, November 25, 2006

Catepillars are Ew

Bugs don't bother me,
Bugs don't bother me,
They might bug,
Some of you mugs,
Bugs don't bother me.




I was able to handle the GIANT COCKROACH living in my suitemate's dorm room the freshman year of college. I caught it in a cup and threw it out the window. Very dignified, with a limited amount of screaming, and all that. I'm able to smile indulgently at the weird spider crickets that make first made their way into my basement apartment and now, my basement. I never saw them until I moved north 30 miles. I've even calmly smashed to a mushy pulp dangerous and posionous spiders.

I do not deal well with caterpillars. They used to be pretty cool to play with when I was a kid, but they are tricksy and mistrustful. When I was all of five, I was playing outside and braced my hand on a nearby tree. On the tree was some sort of caterpillar with stingers. Red needlepoint-marks crossed my entire palm and it took months for it to heal completely. I've never seen the same sort of caterpillar since then, but then again, I don't care to look.

Fast forward to present day. I have the bed linens heaped up in a pile on the floor, in front of the washer. The other day, I washed two white mattress pads. When they came out of the dryer, I noticed one had a weird black stain on it. Not knowing where the stain came from, I decided to rewash the mattress pad, and continued running laundry. As I took the bedsheets out of the washer, I noticed something that looked like a big black piece of lint in the bottom of the washer barrel. I fished out--what I thought was lint--and threw it on top of the dryer. When it landed, it landed belly up. It was no giant piece of lint, but a long, black, fuzzy CATERPILLAR!

I allowed myself a mini-freak out. Sent an IM to The Husband, expressing that I could not write 'ew' enough to express both my displeasure at having run wash with a giant caterpillar and my disgust at having touched a CATERPILLAR. The Husband had to dispose of the caterpillar from the top of the dryer when he got home. Only then did more laundry get run.

I'm a little surprised that I found a caterpillar at the beginning of winter though, I thought they were a spring bug. So far, I've only seen one, so I believe this incident is over. The Husband said if I find two, I can assume there are more. If I find a second one, Orkin better come out the same day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I appreciate this post, I would just like to remind you that some of us are waiting for a "wear to wedding" post.

Nod said...

Tricksy bugses, nasssty bugses, we hates them!
Poor PolskaPolska [gollum]!