Monday, September 29, 2008

Endodontic Experience volume 3

Pregnancy beats up my teeth bad.

I went this morning for a root canal. The tooth looked pretty damaged on the x-ray, and the endodontist found a lot of decay in the tooth. He had a great manner--friendly, happy to explain what he was doing and why and to the point. He told me that he wanted to make sure the decay and any lingering infection was gone, and he wanted to make sure that the tooth would no longer cause pain, but he wasn't sure he could finish the root canal as he wasn't sure if there was enough tooth left to adhere to a crown. I need to consult with my dentist and possibly yank the tooth. Am I going to have a denture at the ripe old age of 27?

***

Speaking of dentures, growing up, I remember my dad wearing dentures. I remember watching him get ready in the morning, and part of the routine was him brushing his teeth, then brushing the dentures and putting them in. My dad was missing his two front teeth (among others). Watching him care for his teeth I remember thinking, "I lost my two front teeth, will they ever come back?"

3 comments:

Nod said...

Trying. not. to. freak. out. ;P

K*Lo said...

I am also going to lose a tooth (or tooths) soon. They're baby teeth and have served me well. But hey, I'm way older than you and deserving of dentures. I'm 29.

P.S. I didn't even know you had a blog.

Unknown said...

What is the dental verdict?