Friday, April 21, 2006

Petsmart Commercial

I know I don't have much of a readership, but if I never blog, it'll never grow right? Let me go ahead and throw up a few things I've been meaning to write about and haven't taken the time for:

Petsmart started a new marketing campaign. The commercial I saw had a small terrier with a large chew toy. There are several shots with the dog in different scenarios, always keeping the chew toy with him. Finally, the dog is asleep on the bed (of course with the toy) when a woman's hand enters the scene to throw the raggedy toy in the trash can. The final scene is the lady and the dog walking the beautifully lit aisles of Petsmart to get a new, clean chew toy.

While watching I notice that it seems like they are drawing some sort of parallel between the dog and a toddler with a beloved (if dirty) blankie.

Then the voiceover states "Petsmart:Everything a pet-parent needs."

WHAT?! A pet-parent?

What has society come to if marketing refers to pet owners as pet parents? I state for the record that I cannot and will not be a parent to anything that doesn't have an immortal soul, If it doesn't have an immortal soul, then it's something I own, not parent. As a parent, I'm offended.

No comments: