Friday, November 16, 2007

Craigslist

A few years ago, my dad bought for me a really nice goose down comforter from Costco. It was for a queen size bed. At the time I slept on a twin, and when I got married, I upgraded to a king. Never had a queen, and didn't have plans to get a queen in the near future. I feel really bad that I made Dad get it and it was sitting here unused.

I decided to list the comforter on Craigslist. Craigslist is an online classified website. I initially listed it as New In Package (NIP), excellent, unused condition, yada yada yada, for $50.00. Seemed like a fair price to me. No one was interested. I saw a similar and gently used (used, mine is new!) going for $60.00. I waited a week, then relisted mine at $60.00, NIP, excellent unused condition, yada yada yada. I had people lining up around the block for it when I raised the price by $10.00. Perhaps it helped that the cold weather finally set in? Is there some kind of psychological phenomenon that people expect to pay that much and are suspicious when the item doesn't cost the amount they thought they would have to pay?

It sold, and I have $10.00 more than I expected. I don't understand.

No comments: