Thursday, September 06, 2007

Our Morning Prayer

Lord God, Please give
Daddy a wise heart,
Mommy a patient heart,
Annie an obedient heart,
and Betta a joyful heart.
Amen.

The husband and I just finished reading Fr. Thomas Dubay's A Prayer Primer for our Teams of our Lady. In trying to make sure prayer is part of our daily life, I was trying to say morning prayer from the Office of the Hours. The girls must have had some innate sense that Mommy was trying to do something really important, and they would always get upset, fight, or cry. I knew I wanted to pray, I knew I needed to pray. I also had to make it something the girls would enjoy, so we made our own prayer.

I stumbled upon this prayer almost by accident. I was trying to get Annie to off the stairwell so I could put the baby gate up to keep Betta from climbing the stairs (yes, she is old enough to climb the stairs but not yet old enough to climb back down!). I realized I was grumpy and growing impatient.

I said to Annie, "Let's ask God to give Annie an obedient heart and give Mommy a patient heart?"

Annie immediately hopped off the stairs and said, "Here you go. Heart, Mama" and pretended to hand me a heart. I thought this kind of prayer could work on a daily basis. We've only been saying it for a couple days, but she seems to like it, and I certainly enjoy the grace and blessings of being able to pray .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really love this~thank you for sharing it! (((((HUGS))))) sandi